} Date: TBC
Duration: 1 Day
Full Fees: €600
Network Members Fee: €350
The Introduction to Asset Management Programme is a blended solution for those new to the asset management business. The training will be delivered as a one-day interactive classroom workshop which is supported by a number of online eLearning modules. The classroom sessions will involve practical briefings, short cases and exercises. Before and after the classroom course attendees will have access to an online Intuition tutor to help with any learning questions they may have.
- Develop a practical understanding of the asset
management business, including the role of custodians,
fund accounting shareholder services ( transfer
• Understand how client facing teams, fund managers, risk
and operations interact.
• Know the key types of products offered to clients.
• Understand the impact of regulation on the business.
• Know the key asset classes.
Who Should Attend
The programme is relevant for staff who want or need to develop their knowledge of the asset management business. The programme would help those working in custodians, asset managers or trustees. Typical roles would be graduates, and members of the operations, fund services, asset servicing and fund accounting teams.
Introduction and Recap of the Pre-Work:
• Ice Breaker – Why do the Financial Markets Exist?
• Overview of the Industry
o E.g. Sell side / Buy side
Intuition Publishing Ltd 2019 22
o Fund / Portfolio Managers
• Key Players – Custodians, Fund Administration,
• Regulators and Regulation
What Assets Can We Invest In? – Overview of Asset Classes:
• Fixed Income, FX, Equities, Derivatives, Bonds
• Risk and Return
Overview of Investment “Wrappers”:
• UCITS Funds
• Closed End Funds
• The Objectives and Constraints of Individual Investors
• The Investment Policy Statement, Investment Decisions,
Security Selection and Portfolio Construction
• Passive and Active Portfolio Management
• The Role of Structured Notes and ETF’s
How Do Fund Managers Make Investment Choices?
• Active managers
• Styles – value, growth
• Passive management
• Robo advisers
Basics of Fund Accounting
• Accounting for investments
• Accounting for customer flows
• Calculating NAV
Inside a Fund Manager:
• Exercise – Where Do You Fit into the Organisation?
• Sales Teams
• Fund Management Operations Structure
o Overview of the Roles and Responsibilities of
o How Does Everyone Link Together?
Summary and Close