Start Date: 31/12/2013
Duration: 1 Day
Full Fee: €450
Network Members Fee: €315
This practical 2 day Introduction to Investment Management course introduces investment Management in an interactive approach of 60:40 short briefings, and teacher led discussion followed by interactive case studies based on the industry and where appropriate, the client. The aim of this course is to give a practical grasp of the key issues and trends in Investment Management and to raise your confidence when dealing with colleagues or customers.
The key learning goals are:
- Understand the Investment Management business
- Know the key assets used to generate returns
- Know the risks for investors
- Understand how Investment Managers use derivatives to generate additional returns
Who Should Attend
Those new to the Investment Management industry, including junior front office staff, Research, Operations and IT.
Introduction – Key clients, Services Offered, How money is made and changes
- Who are the key customers for Investment Managers?
- What services do Investment Managers provide?
- How do they make money?
- Why is the industry changing?
Inside an Investment Management house
- Key players : Counterparties, depositories, regulators
- Investment universe at an Investment Manager: Equities, Fixed Income, Balanced funds, Emerging Markets
- Investing in Alternatives, Multi-Managers and SRI at an Asset Manager
Key financial issues in Investment Management
- Measures of return, market risk & risk-adjusted return
- The importance of correlation
- Financial issues in hedging and derivatives
Case study 1 : risk adjusted returns
Using derivatives in Asset Management
- Main derivatives used at an Asset Manager
- Derivatives in ‘UCIT’ funds and Structured Products
Case study 2: using derivatives in 2 funds
Risks for Investors
- Shortfall, Liquidity and Market risk
Case study 3: Investing for Jessica
- Basel III, Solvency II, Dodd Frank & Mifid II /EMIR
Case study 4: Performance in 2 Funds
Review of day 1
Key roles in an Investment Management house
- Fund Managers
- Sales and marketing
- Back office and middle office
- Compliance and legal
- Support staff: finance and control, audit, HR, IT
Case study 5: Life of a trade
- Direct (discretionary account) / collective (UCITS)
- Traditional / alternative
- Benchmarked / absolute performance
- Active / index performance
- Traditional / quantitative
Case study 6: Style in 4 funds
Equity Asset Management
- The case for Equities
- Top Down/Bottom Up Approaches
- Stock selection basics
Case study 7: Lafarge cement
Fixed Income Management
- The case for bonds
- Active management of interest rate and credit risk
- Benchmarked fixed-income management
- Specialised Fixed Income products – Money market, ABS etc.
Case study 8: Risks in 3 bonds
Specialised Asset Management
- Structured products
- Multi Manager funds
- Alternatives (Private Equity, real estate, hedge funds, commodities)
- Emerging markets
Case study 9: Holistic case study
Closing discussion (with business speaker if possible)
- Asset Management in 2020
- Wrap up and close
Paul Evans -Senior Instructor
Paul has 18 years of experience in the financial training area, having personally taught 67,000 people in 22 countries. He has served in internal training and training management roles with HSBC, and BPP Financial, working with senior line managers and executives to develop and enhance their financial awareness.
Specialist training areas are investment management, private banking, commodities, structured products, private banking, hedge funds, interest rate risk management and foreign exchange risk management. While with HSBC for 3 years, he developed training programs and materials, delivered training programs, and introduced a global suite of training programmes for Private Bankers. At BPP (the UK’s largest quoted training company), Paul established the group’s financial services exam training division, where he was later appointed Managing Director.
Before commencing his teaching career, Paul worked at PWC and Touche Ross as a chartered accountant and an accounting trainer in London.